Pages

Monday, April 16, 2007

Lettuce Salad

Inspired by the salad recipes on the many food network shows where chefs/cooks make fresh salads with a variety of ingredients , I decided to make one for lunch today. My recipe is a mix of different recipes and made with ingredients that I already had at hand. I could not believe the full bodied taste a simple dressing made of lemon juice, honey and olive oil could impart to a salad! Unfortunately I did not manage to take a picture as i was not sure how it would turn out, but i will put up one the next time I prepare this salad, which will be soon.

Ingredients :
Romaine Lettuce about a cup and a half
1 Tomato chopped
A little onion chopped lengthwise
Green olives about 1/4 cup
Dried cranberries a handful
Roasted red peppers 3-4
Crumbled feta cheese about 1-2 tbsp
Cannellini (white) bean about 2 tbsp

Dressing:
Lemon Juice about half a lemon
Honey 2-3 tbsp
Olive oil 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Black pepper powder

Method:
Chop the lettuce leaves and put in a bowl. To this add the chopped tomato and onion. Chop the green olives and roasted red peppers and add to the lettuce. Mix in the cranberries. Drain the cannellini beans, place them under running water and rinse them off a little ( a tip I learned from 'Everyday Italian') , then add to the salad. Add the crumbled feta cheese.
Then make the dressing by mixing together the lemon juice, honey ,olive oil, salt and pepper. Whisk together and pour over the salad. Toss the salad and serve.

The salad has an amazing sweet & savory blend and can be enjoyed by kids as well as adults.
I am really glad that I tried out this salad.

No comments: